I just thought it was really amazing he could be so benevolent towards the South. I get very indignant and angry with stupid people and the lions of injustice, and if I were a slave or an abolitionist living in those times I might have been kind of angry with Lincoln for being so lenient towards the South. Obviously, mistakes were made on both sides, but still. Still, he is to be commended for his Christ-like attitude.

I really liked that he talked about it being not the North's war, nor the South's war, but God's war, because it really was. I also liked what he said about neither side's prayers having been fully answered, because that was true. That is also a heartening point to remember when something you are praying for doesn't work out. Perhaps your prayers weren't answered, but your enemy's prayers probably weren't answered fully too. It sounds mean, but that could be a pretty comforting thing to think about.

I appreciate his eloquence and the fact that he kept his speech short and to the point. He didn't need a lot of pomp and circumstance and length to get across what needed to be understood. Through his theologically untrained brilliance, he was able to reach across space and time to reach those living then and those living now.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home